How to renew a UK passport: processing times, prices and problems



The HM Passport Office has been accused of presiding over an “absolute shambles” as an “unprecedented surge” in the number of people renewing their passports has led to major delays in processing times.

The Times warned that summer holidays could be at risk for “millions” of holidaymakers due to some five million people who delayed renewing their passports during the pandemic. The Passport Office is now struggling to keep up with demand, with a new ten-week target for processing passport applications “repeatedly breached”, said the paper.

The SNP’s Stuart McDonald told parliament this week that constituents across the country had been forced to “cancel holidays, miss funerals and rearrange trips”, while Simon Hoare, the Tory MP for North Dorset, blasted the backlog as ”absolutely” foreseeable.

“My constituents are telling me their experience is either really very good or it is an absolute shambles. Something needs to be done to arrest this and quickly,” he added.

Kevin Foster, the immigration minister, called the situation “virtually unprecedented” and advised would-be travellers to “get their application in as soon as possible”.

Extra strain is thought to have been put on the system due to post-Brexit EU travel rules, which say Britons must have at least three months validity on their passports remaining before they can enter EU countries.

Here’s what you need to know about renewing your passport and how Brexit has impacted travel rules for UK citizens.

How to renew a passport 

Adult passports require renewal every ten years, and UK government advice is to expect the passport renewal process to take up to ten weeks. The process is quicker online than by post. 

Submitting a renewal application online costs £75.50 for an adult passport and £49 for a child. You will need a digital photo, a credit or debit card and your current passport in order to complete the passport service form

To complete the process by post, you will need to collect the application form from a post office that offers the Check and Send service, or by calling the Passport Advice line. You will need to provide two identical printed photos. The paper application process costs £85, payable by cheque to “Her Majesty’s Passport Office” or by credit or debit card.

The Post Office also offers a Check and Send process which can help to ensure your application fulfils all necessary requirements before being submitted. The service costs an additional £16 and both digital and paper applications can be processed, but you will need to check whether your nearest branch offers the service

Can I get a passport urgently? 

If you need your passport to be renewed within the next three weeks rather than the standard waiting period, you can apply for an urgent application by booking an appointment at a passport office. You can expect an appointment to last up to 30 minutes. 

You can either apply using the online premium service or the one week fast track service. The online option, which can only be used to renew an adult passport issued after 31 December 2001, costs £177 (or £187 for a 50-page frequent traveller passport). Applicants must book an appointment, take a digital photo, fill out the forms online and pay ahead of collecting the passport at the appointment. 

Renewal of a standard adult passport using the one-week service will cost £142 for an adult passport (or £152 for a 50-page frequent traveller passport) and £122 for a child passport (or £132 for a 50-page frequent traveller passport). Application forms must be collected from a post office, and an appointment booked and paid for online. You will need to take two printed passport photos, your completed application forms, and any relevant supporting documents. 

What are the rules for passport photos? 

You will need to provide digital photos every time you renew your passport, either by providing a digital photo for an online application, or printed photos for a paper application. In both cases, the photo must have been taken within the last month.  

Photos must be clear and in focus, in colour, and contain no other objects or people. Photos that appear to have “red eye” will not be accepted, and backgrounds must be plain and light coloured.  

Nothing should cover your face, and there should be no shadows. Glasses should be removed if possible, as well as head coverings, unless worn for religious or medical reasons. 

Digital photos should be at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels in height. The file must be at least 50KB but no more than 10MB.  

Print photos should be 45mm high and 35mm wide, the standard size for images printed at UK photo booths. The images must be printed to a professional standard, and not be creased or torn. When posted, the images should be separated from one another, and not attached to the application form.  

What has changed because of Brexit? 

The rules for travelling to Europe following Brexit are a “little different” now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU, said Abta – The Travel Association. “So it’s important you plan early to make sure you have everything in place in time for your trip.”

British passport holders are treated as “third country nationals” in the EU, said Simon Calder in The Independent. And there are “stipulations about passport expiry dates and limits on length of stay almost everywhere in Europe”.

According to the Your Europe travel page, if you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport that is: 

  • valid for at least three months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting
  • a passport issued issued within the previous ten years

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired and extra months were added beyond its standard ten-year expiry date, “be aware that any extra months on your passport over ten years may not count towards the minimum three months needed”, Abta explained.

Following the end of the transition period, pet passports issued in the UK will no longer be valid for cats, dogs or ferrets. Instead, an animal health certificate will need to be acquired for each trip from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland.   

What if I change my name? 

If you change your name, you will need a new passport before travelling abroad. This is also true if you change gender, or change your appearance to the extent that it cannot be recognised from your current passport photo. Only in the last instance would your application need to be countersigned.  

If you are updating your name on your passport because of marriage or civil partnership, you can apply for a new passport up to three months before your ceremony. This passport cannot be used until after the ceremony, and you will need to send a separate form along with your application. 

What if I lose my passport?  

If your passport is lost or stolen you will need to cancel it as soon as you can. A cancellation can also be processed by a third party, if you are unable to complete the process yourself. 

When reporting a stolen passport to the local police, ask for a written report which may be needed by the British Embassy or your travel insurer, the Post Office notes.

If you aren’t able to get a passport in time for your planned return, you can apply for an Emergency Travel Document which will allow you to travel through a maximum of five countries to your final destination. Your planned route details will be printed on the document and it will be kept by border officials if you are returning to the UK.


Source link

Leave a comment